"...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass..."

Alma 37:6

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Activity: Stretch / Workout - (13th Article of Faith)

Well we just had our Primary Program this past Sunday and I have to say, I am so impressed with the kids and how well they did all around!  I didn't think I would feel the Spirit as strongly as I did, but I got choked up during one of the songs in the middle of the program.  The Spirit testified to me about how precious each of these wonderful children really are and how special they are to our Father in Heaven, and what a great work we are doing in the Primary to teach them of these important principles.  This was my first program, and it was a wonderful, wonderful experience.  I tried in the weeks leading up to Program day to not be stressed about things being "perfect" (like I tend to do with things even in my personal life) but I tried to relax and just enjoy singing with the children.  It didn't matter to me if they sang quiet (which I knew they most likely would), but I tried to do my best in helping them know and remember the words to the songs.  And they knew them.  They did so great.  It was an awesome day.  :)

Now we get to play and sing all kinds of other songs for fun!

This week's Sharing Time lesson is about being honest, and it references the 13th Article of Faith.  So I want to teach/go over the 13th Article of Faith song with them.  But it's kind of long, and I don't want to do something with showing words because most of our JR's don't read, and I haven't found much on the internet related to teaching the song, and the ASL video I found of the Articles of Faith is great but too much work for a sign language novice like me to try to figure out all the signs by this Sunday.  Nothing was really speaking to me.  Until tonight when a great idea was impressed upon my mind!

I like to get the kids moving since they sit so much in the other hours of church, and I think it's important for them to be able to move for them to learn well.

Soooo......  I'm going to do a stretching/workout routine with this song with them!  The idea is for it to be comparable to working out our spiritual muscles.  And really you could adapt it for any song.  And I'm even thinking about making this a "warm up" song (or activity) as the children are coming in to Primary so they can move but get ready and focused for Sharing Time.  I'm super excited about it!

These are some actions I came up with (I'm sure you could probably think of more!):

  • With both arms out to sides, move side to side from waist up
  • Biceps pump in front of your body (like doing bicep curls with weights)
  • Squats (in place or side to side)
  • Forward lunges (jump to switch, or step together to switch)
  • Muscle flexing
  • Reach both hands up
  • Bend over and touch toes
  • Stretch arms up one at a time (like a sleepy stretch)
  • Stretch arms out in front of you and wiggle fingers


And I'll do those in that order for this song.  I'll try to describe it, but I'll probably end up making a video so it's easier to understand (I'm totally a visual learner).  [By the way, it's probably a good idea to plan on wearing a flowy skirt as opposed to a restricting one when you plan to do this activity. ;)]

  • "We believe in being" --- Start with both arms stretched out to your sides, feet apart
  • "Honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous" --- Keep that position and bend at waist to one side and then the other (4 times slow, aka: R, L, R, L)
  • "And in doing good to all men" --- Biceps pump (either 4 fast ones or 2 slow ones)
  • "Indeed we may say that we follow" --- Squats side to side (4 slow ones, aka: R, L, R, L)
  • "The admonition of Paul" --- Forward lunges (2 slow step change ones, or 4 quick jumping ones)
  • "We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things" --- Muscle flex freestyle! (3, one for each phrase)
  • "And hope to be able to endure all things" --- Stretch up with both hands on the word and high note of HOPE, and then slow bend over to touch toes by the end of the phrase
  • "If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy" --- Stretch arms up one at a time (6 times, aka: R, L, R, L, R, L)
  • "We seek after these things" --- Stretch arms out in front of you and wiggle fingers for a good finger workout/stretch


And there you have it!  Something engaging for the kids, super low prep for you, and can be used for probably almost any song.  Bingo!

Happy singing.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Thank you so much I hate teaching the AOF songs and this will make it much more bearable.

    ReplyDelete